Monday 9 June 2008

Early morning allotmenting


As Paulene posted below, we were all really pleased to get the plants in on Saturday - we're finally growing some veg!
I woke up at a ridiculous hour on Sunday and after seeing a text from Seamus from Saturday night I got up and went to the allotment as there was some room in a skip and we had A LOT of rubbish to get rid of. I arrived at 7.30-ish, the sun was shining but it was still nice and cool. I picked up a lot of slugs and wandered around looking at our plants and willing them to grow quickly!
When we cleared the plot we had to pile up all the grass, nettles and other nasties, putting some into bags and the rest into the compost area that was there when we took it on. The purpose of my visit this morning was to try and shift some of the pile...I managed to get rid of about 20 bags plus 6 rubble sacks that I had bought with me. It was hard but satisfying work, seeing the pile go down inspired me to keep going.
This is how it looks now, not so daunting and ready for when we get a small skip in a couple of weeks:

Our raspberries are ripening, and they are delicious!
While I was there I heard a lot of fire engines then saw an ominous cloud of black smoke appearing to the south east. It turned out that it was the fire at the electricity sub station in Sydenham.

No comments: