Monday 3 August 2009

July was great...but its august already


I can't believe that its August already, how did that happen?! There's been plenty going on at allotment 28a since I wrote last. I've had loads of courgettes (courgette soup anyone?), potatoes, peas, beetroot, beans, redcurrants, raspberries, blackcurrants, sweetpeas, lettuce, radishes and chard.
Our plot has kind of caught up and is now producing lots of veg. The chinese broccoli hasn't been a success but pretty much everything else has been good. The runner beans are nearly ready and I sowed another 4 rows of peas to take us through autumn. And we've got a pumpkin! There was some debate whether our pumpkin plant would produce any fruit as I saved seed from last year, but as you can see, we've got a fat pumpkin growing. The slugs have had a lot of the plant but so far the pumpkin is looking pretty good. The chard we've grown this year is really delicious, I've been eating lots of it.
What other news...the sweetcorn has quite a few cobs, our neighbour Shelley planted lots of flowers this year - dahlias, echinacea and verbena so the bees are happy. And...someone has taken over nettle mountain and has started the hideous task of clearing it. They've done a very good job so far, I'm really pleased, it might help stop the nettles and bindweed spreading to our plot.





No comments: