Saturday 6 March 2010

Worms


Its been way too long since I wrote anything on this blog. Must do better!
The allotment is looking great, I'll take some photos when I'm there tomorrow. Have had some handy husband help recently, he's got to the bottom of the old compost heap which is something we've been wanting and trying to do since we took on the plot 2 years ago. He also made a massive sieve which sits on top of the new compost bin and we've sieved most of the old compost to get rid of stones but more importantly, all the nasty weed roots that have been lurking in there for years.
Today's job was to empty my wormery at home. Not a pleasant job and a bit back breaking. I don't know what the best way to empty a wormery is, the only way I think it can be done is by literally picking over every bit to separate each worm from the gorgeous rich compost. I started by emptying the top layers of uncomposted kitchen waste in to buckets. Then I spent the best part of an hour and a half picking worms from 4 buckets worth of compost. It was quite therapeutic and at least the sun was shining. It was bitterly cold though, I had loads of layers on and my hat pulled right down over my ears. I always find it fascinating picking through the compost, it always amazes me that we eat so many eggs and avocados! But I guess its that they take the longest to break down. I'll bring 3 of the buckets of compost to the allotment to dig in to the beds.

No comments: