Monday 29 March 2010

Shaping up



The old compost heap is no longer! Despite the husband's hernia, he has managed to sieve all of the old compost into our new compost bin. He's very chuffed with himself. And I'm very chuffed with his hard work. It now means that once we move the tool box back about 3 foot I'll have space for another bed. It will be long and thin, the same length as the soft fruit cage bed, but not as wide. Thinking I might try some parsnips in it this year if we get it built in time.
I managed to get another bed of spuds in, this time it was Lady Balfour which are second earlies. My King Edwards are still chitting, and I got my first earlies in about 2 weeks ago. I'm not that keen on all the digging required for getting potatoes in the ground. Its damn hard work.
Seamus gave me 4 (very heavy) bags of compost last weekend, I nearly had my own hernia after lifting them out of the back of the car and getting them to the plot. I've been digging it in to the beds, its gorgeous stuff.
It's Easter this coming weekend, if the weather stays dry we'll try and get 2 full days in at the allotment. We'll move the tool box back and then make a new cage for the sweetcorn.

No comments: