Sunday 20 July 2008

Potatoes, beetroot and flowers

Spent 4 hours at the allotment today, mostly weeding, drinking coffee, talking to a couple of our neighbours and looking at all the gorgeous flowers. I dug up some potatoes, the leaves were turning yellow with brown spots, is it blight? Who knows. Just to be on the safe side I dug them up and will be having some for dinner tonight.
Shelley gave me some strawberry plants so I put them in where the potatoes had been.

I put some others in pots in case Seamus thinks they can go somewhere else on the plot, otherwise he and Paulene can take them home if they want them, I took four home.
It was quite nice and sunny with enough cloud to give some shade from the heat, and there were quite a few people there today, probably the most I've seen.

Here are some pics from today, a lot are of flowers from our plot and the ones around us.
Courgettes looking good..






Bindweed has such a beautiful flower...

One of our neighbours has some fantastic looking corn. Much further along than ours...

And their chard looks gorgeous too...

I had a visitor today, very cute little bird hung out with me most of the afternoon...


1 comment:

Claire said...

I was reading Monty Don's book Fork to Fork last night on the subject of potato blight (have you got it? ) and he says that it makes the leaves turn yellow and die, then the spores get into the ground and make the potatoes all mushy and stinky.

The foliage on some of mine is a bit yellow and spotty too but the tatties are fine. I reckon they're just dehydrated from all this wind.

x